Civilian Board of Contract Appeals
Judge Patricia Sheridan
Becoming an Educated Consumer of ADR Services:
“Practical and Cost-Effective Alternative Dispute Resolution in a Time of Austerity”
Now, more than ever, government contractors are seeking alternatives to traditional litigation to resolve disputes with their Government customers. Contractors want effective and cost-conscious ways to resolve claims, while preserving important customer relationships.
In an interview-style discussion moderated by NCMA Tysons VP- Programs and Holland & Knight attorney, Oliya Zamaray, Judge Sheridan will address the many Alternative Dispute Resolution options available to government contractors appearing before the Federal Boards of Contract Appeals.
Judge Sheridan’s Bio:
Born in Watertown, New York, Judge Patricia Sheridan earned her law degree at Syracuse University College of Law in 1979 where she was the Notes and Comments Editor for the Syracuse Journal of International Law and Commerce. Judge Sheridan spent her early years in private practice, then transitioned to her role as a contracts Trial Attorney in the Department of Veterans Affairs Office of the General Counsel (1984-1991). Between 1991 and 2000, Judge Sheridan was a Hearing Examiner and Counsel to the Chairman at the Department of Veterans Affairs Board of Contract Appeals. During this time, Judge Sheridan was the Deputy Dispute Resolution Specialist, ADR Instructor, and Mediator (1991-2006). Judge Sheridan was a government contract law lecturer at William & Mary School of Law from 1992-1995.
Between 2000 and 2006, Judge Sheridan served on the Department of Veterans Affairs Board of Contract Appeals. In May of 2006, she was appointed Chairman of the Board and Dispute Resolution Specialist of the Department. In January 2007, Judge Sheridan became a member of the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals.
Judge Sheridan has published numerous times, including:
- Co-author of Federal Push for Alternative Dispute Resolution, The Procurement Lawyer, Fall 1995.
- Chapter author for the Board of Contract Appeal Judges, Sharing a Common Vision, American Bar Association Federal ADR Deskbook, 1999.
- Author of Using Pre decisional Involvement to Enhance Partnership Councils, VA National Partnership Council, November 1999.
- Chapter co-author of Designing an ADR Program, Electronic Guide to Federal Procurement (1999).
- Judge Sheridan is a member of the Interagency ADR Working Group, Contracts and Procurement Section and a Steering Committee Member of the Interagency ADR Working Group (2000-Present).